Thursday, August 1, 2013

Computer Based Testing

This week in class we discussed how some standardized tests are (or will be soon) given on the computer. I can see the advantages of this from an administrative standpoint, grading will possibly not take as long and results can be published quicker. However, I'm quite conflicted on whether this is actually good approach for the students.

As a class we listed many of the skills needed to take a test online that differ from the skills students need to take it on paper: typing skill and speed, spelling, and the ability to know how to note main ideas from a text on the screen when you can't actually use a highlighter or write in the margins. We talked about how there was different set of strategies or ways of thinking that would have to be taught in order to be successful on these tests and that it would be our jobs as teachers to help the students to learn these.

In order to get us thinking about how to do this, we first talked in our content area groups about ideas that we had for our classroom. Being a world language teacher who's subject is not actually on the particular test we were using as an example (the Smarter Balanced Assessment), it was difficult. We posed ourselves with the question: how do we teach the necessary skills and strategies needed to be successful on the test within lessons where we were teaching a foreign language. Since the subjects on the test are math and English, we focused more on the skills that would be needed for the English parts because in that way we could draw parallels between English and our foreign language (Spanish or French). It was really difficult, and although we came up with some ideas, they would definitely take a lot of time in planing in order to get them to function correctly and benefit the students. They would also be more difficult to implement given resource constraints.

Overall, by the end of class, I wasn't really convinced that testing from the computer was worth it. And by this I mean that I understand we are 21st century educators and that students are familiarized from a young age with technology. I understand that most are extremely adequate at performing tasks on a computer. But I also think about the students who aren't. I think about that although there are strategies that we could teach to help students with these tests, some may still prefer paper and physically being able to scratch out answers or write notes. Maybe offering the option of a computer test, but not enforcing it would be a good idea? Like I said, I see why people are pushing for testing on the computer, but I'm not sure it's necessary or best. Thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. I really liked your post and can see how World Language teachers might have to think outside the box when it comes to teaching in support of these tests! All the more opportunity to be creative I guess!

    I took the GRE right around the time it went solely to the computer based test and in some of the practice books I bought it had tips of how to complete the test when only given a scratch piece of paper and pencil to write with. In order to do process of elimination with multiple choice questions you could make marks on the paper to keep track of which letters you deemed to be wrong answers. I didn't really like this approach since I'm more of a paper/pen test taker myself.

    But then for my subject area teaching tests I signed up to take the traditional pen and paper tests. Mostly because they somehow cost less than computer-based testing, but I really think I'm a better test taker when I'm able to make notes in the margins and can physically cross off wrong answers. I think this was something that was brought up in the reading for this week as well when we think about reading text on paper as compared to ereaders. I really like (and agree) with your idea to offer both a computer and paper based test for the students to decide which they prefer. It might also take some of the work away from teachers who feel they would have to teach everyone how to be proficient in computer literacy in order to take a test. Definitely something to keep on our radar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Megan! I share you confliction! I'm still wrestling with whether or not over move towards online assessments are equitable. How, in other words, does our move towards uniformity (i.e., standardization) take into account differentiation? Moreover, what about those schools (and students) who don't have the financial resources to purchase (not to mention practice) digital literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am still conflicted about this practice. I do get the practicality of it, but there seem to still be a lot of issues to work out. Also, I wonder if there are/will be any studies on if this switch to electronic testing impacts scores. It would be unfortunate if an otherwise bright student does not "meet standards" because of the testing format (extreme example, but still).
    Also, I love that you framed your teaching approaches in order to draw parallels to English. Cross-discipline sparkles!! This was a question I posed on Kelsey's blog, and I really appreciate the idea of literacy skills being emphasized in all classes (not just English). It really helps in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan! Like every one who already gave you a comment, I agree that the sole reliance on computer based assessments will cause problems. I mentioned in my blog that one of the sample problems from the smarter balanced assessment for 5th grade math required a typed response explaining the reasoning for the answer. It might have been because computers were just starting to gain popularity when I was a kid, but I didn't learn how to type until I was in middle school. Imagine a child who doesn't know how to type yet trying to type his or her reasoning for an answer to a math problem. There are still adults who type at 10 words a minute, my mom for example. Unless every school makes a require for students to learn computer skills at an early age, computer-based tests won't be fair for all students. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about computerized standardized testing. As Cory shared above, I have been wondering about the equity of computerized testing. If our students, such as the population we considered while in class where 60% had a computer at home, really only have limited access to Microsoft Word, is a computer test really an appropriately aligned assessment of their learning outcomes? I believe that our students need to be exposed to and taught how to use computer programs and internet databases, etc. but is a standardized test the way to ensure that happens? I think I would tend to say no as well.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merci Megan. I am glad to hear you to voice your concerns about this matter. I, too, was overwhelmed with this idea that we, as foreign language teachers, would be responsible for the English and Math test scores as well as our own under the standardized online test format. It seems unjust, but as we talked about in our group, we can teach them a lot about english through a second language aquisition, but as Laura says, does it need to be online? I don't think so either. I think there are many other ways to improve digital literacy and enhance computer skills. I believe that moving the testing online would be a step in the wrong direction, but as future teachers it seems that we'll have to prepare for anything!

    ReplyDelete