Friday, October 18, 2013

New Curiosities


When I think of technology in school, I’m still stuck in thinking about computers, projectors, and tools like PowerPoint. Our technology class has showed me various options for different free online technology tools that could be implemented in the classroom but yet I have a hard time seeing how many of these will have a positive impact and enhance student learning in a world language classroom. Mostly, I think I’m fearful that setting up or getting starting with technology could take up meaningful time out of class, and if the technology too isn’t going to have a significant impact on my students, I’m not sure I see the benefit.

After doing the technology in my placement survey, I learned about even more programs that were being used within the middle school I was working at. And I think that although there are many technologies that are utilized for the reasons I’ve mentioned above aren’t used again, there are others that are used everyday. The everyday types of tools that I found most intriguing to learn more about were those being used for students with disabilities, as this is something I haven’t learned a whole lot about before. I’ve learned about some of the many different programs that can be used for different challenges students might face. Some students have programs that help with sight-reading and spelling words and some have scanners that put their books electronically so that they can program bookwork and worksheets to permit them to type in their answers.

Working with paraprofessionals at my school has allowed me to learn more about how these tools help the students with disabilities; however, a few times I’ve find myself working with the students one-on-one because the paraprofessional doesn’t speak Spanish. Because of these experiences, I believe that learning more about how technology can help students with disabilities and thinking about how this relates to a world language classroom will help make better accommodations. I am curious in how I can work with the paraprofessionals and these tools to help the students even more. 

1 comment:

  1. That is cool that you got to work with paraprofessionals! I had never thought about the usefulness of technology for students with disabilities. I found this part of your post especially interesting:
    "Some students have programs that help with sight-reading and spelling words and some have scanners that put their books electronically so that they can program bookwork and worksheets to permit them to type in their answers." This would be great for English - or to have a book that has interactive links that define vocabulary and allusions.

    It is understandable to feel overwhelmed with technology. It is no where near perfect, and as you mentioned, not exactly adaptable for World Language classrooms yet. Maybe it is best to start simple. Have you heard of Translation apps for smartphones - you can speak into it and the machine translates into target languages. Maybe you could have BYOD and have students use and evaluate that app!

    It is ultimately important to feel comfortable with technology before it becomes useful for learning. And this means researching the tools that fit your needs, rather than discovering tools and then figuring out a need it fulfills, as many people tend to do!

    Thanks for your post, and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete