Thursday, July 18, 2013

BYOD

One of our first days of orientation in the MAC program, we participated in an online feedback form by being asked to take out our phones and text in our answers. I had never done this before and  this new experience was weird to me. I've always been taught that pulling out my phone in class was rude and usually avoided distractions from it by shoving it into a pocket of my backpack and just kind of forgetting about it. So while sending in the feedback questions and waiting for others to finish answering, I just kept thinking how interesting it was that this was how we were taking survey's now. It mean, it makes sense as everyone had a cell phone and most the capability to text, but something about us pulling out these devices that I've always known to have "to disappear" once class started was just different.

Not too long ago, I was having a conversation with my brother, a high school senior at the time, via texting. There was something I needed to ask him and instead of waiting until he was out of school for the day, I texted him right away so I didn't forget. When I received a response, I was quick to give him a hard time: "What are you doing texting while in class?" I took him just responding sarcastically when he texted me: "We're allowed to." In my mind I was thinking, "yeah right!...nice try."

The next time I was home, I mentioned something to about this and my mom backed him up. "The school changed the policy" they told me. When I was in high school, phones were supposed to be out of sight and off! If a teacher saw you with one in the hallway, or at lunch, and especially in class, it was taken away and a parent had to come and get it from the office for you. Phones were to be off and put away in a locker or backpack/purse during school hours. It was definitely news to me that now the school had settled on the rule that students were allowed to carry their phones with them, and that they were allowed to be on, and use them during passing time in the halls and lunch, just not during class.

I mean, once again, it makes sense. Cell phones, especially with iPhones and other smartphones, have become such a part of our lives. Since I've been in college, I've always had my phone easily accessible and on during classes. In fact, during the moments before class and when I walked home I was usually on my phone. So although it seemed weird that the high school students were now allowed to have this freedom with their phones in school made sense, but since it was so different from my experiences there, I was a little shocked by the rule change.

I thought of this conversation in class the other day when we were talking about if students should be allowed to bring their own tech devices to the classroom. It seems to make sense that this rule would change give the point that we are at with technology today. It makes sense that these devices could therefore be used as helpful tools in classroom. My only apprehension with this at first was that they could and probably would be a distraction as students would use them for other purposes as well during class. I was intrigued by the article and discussion on how they also bring a whole new dimension to the idea of and "equitable classroom." Implementing the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) logic into a classroom posses the follow ideas about equity in the classroom:

  • We should let students bring their own devices, because if we aren't letting the students use what they use in their everyday life, how are we being equitable?
  • Some students may not have access to laptops or smartphones and may not be able to afford them, so this is realistically not equitable.
  • Even if we gave everyone technology, there might not be enough funding to get the most up to date so the school would have to resort to purchasing something more out of date and this might not be beneficial to the students, so is this equitable?
I feel up to this point, I've had fairly strong opinions about why I don't feel that technology is necessarily beneficial to the classroom. I have never thought about it in these terms however, and I found this as a interesting critique.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your thoughts on the relationship between BYOD and equality. Until this year, I have been solidly in the "no phones in the classroom" camp. Our discussions in class and the questions, such as the ones that you posed in your post, are probing me to think more deeply about this issue. How do we as teachers balance the growing relevance of technology in every part of our students lives and the principle of equity in the learning environment that we are inviting them into? I don't have an answer for this right now (who does?), but I'm grateful that we can work towards a better understanding of the issues involved together as a class in this coming year! And maybe even come up with a working solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your personal experience with your brother and how the school has changed its phone policy. I'm actually interested to know what my high school is doing now in terms of cell phones in class and how accessible they are...

    I thought the texting survey at the beginning of orientation was really interesting and actually kind of fun; definitely something a little different! In terms of equity when it comes to BYOD I think it would be a safe bet to have a survey of our class at the beginning of the school year to see what kinds of devices each student has access to. Then I think we can start to address whether implementing a BYOD policy is a feasible option. And maybe the students can have their input on if they want technology to be a part of their classroom experience. I guess it's something we'll have to think about in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some great points about equity. Anecdote: When I've had kids take out their cell phones to text an answer in, at least 30% of the kids either don't have a phone or--more likely--have limits on their text messaging. They'll refuse to text in an answer because they don't want their parents getting mad at them for using precious texts. This inevitably causes a distraction, and it makes me wonder if it's even fair to require the kids to text in. I'm curious to know how you might handle this.

    ReplyDelete